04 février 2008

KUMOKOKUDO 雲国土

Every day when I look at the sky, I think of the freedom of clouds. When I take the plane to other countries, I see a country of white: mountains and valleys, all composed of tiny droplets of water. It is in this spirit that I began to document the country of Kumokokudo: an ephemeral nation of autonomous clouds.

Kumo (雲) is the Japanese word for cloud and kokudo (国土) is again Japanese for realm.
the grouping of these two sets of words is not a proper combination of kanji, but I think it fits.




There are some words that describe the life of this constantly starting/ending land : evaporation, condensation, evapotranspiration, precipitation.

There is also a cloud classification system, that works much in the same manner of Linnaean taxonomy for living organisms. The following link is a good starting place.
http://www.met.tamu.edu/class/Metr304/Exer10dir/classification.html

Ideally, Kumokokudo is documented by filming the birth of the cloud mass, its voyage across the skies, through to its eventual dispersion. So, I will continue to update this as evidence presents itself.
The birth of clouds over Berlin 08v05.

Aucun commentaire: